6.0.0-git
2018-12-15

[#14670] ActiveSync not working with new Outlook versions
Summary ActiveSync not working with new Outlook versions
Queue Horde Framework Packages
Type Bug
State Stalled
Priority 1. Low
Owners mrubinsk (at) horde (dot) org
Requester michael (at) bigmichi1 (dot) de
Created 2017-07-26 (507 days ago)
Due
Updated 2018-11-21 (24 days ago)
Assigned 2017-10-22 (419 days ago)
Resolved 2018-11-21 (24 days ago)
Milestone
Patch No

History
2018-11-21 15:15:50 Michael Rubinsky Comment #6
State ⇒ Stalled
Reply to this comment
Marking as stalled/won't fix. MS has an official workaround for their 
purposeful removal of this setup method.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3189194/how-to-disable-simplified-account-creation-in-outlook
2017-10-22 05:22:11 Michael Rubinsky Comment #5
State ⇒ Assigned
Reply to this comment
Making some progress on this.

It seems there is some new, undocumented Autodiscovery schema that MS 
is using. Autodiscovery from Outlook now leads to an autodiscovery 
request hitting the webserver from a Microsoft IP address. 
Interestingly, it is a *.json extension instead of .xml.  Found some 
discussion online and am doing some reverse engineering to hopefully 
get this resolved.
2017-07-31 17:08:16 michael (at) bigmichi1 (dot) de Comment #4 Reply to this comment
we found a client side solution but maybe these will also be removed 
in the near future by microsoft. running the OLCFG.EXE (Mail-Setup 
Outlook) and manually add an email account let us choose Exchange 
Activesync
2017-07-30 20:31:24 Michael Rubinsky Comment #3
State ⇒ Feedback
Reply to this comment
Spent 2 hours on this today. It looks like Outlook is only sending an 
Autodisovery request with the exchange/outlook schema, NOT the 
MobileSync schema. Horde is receiving the request, and answering 
correctly for the schema it is requesting. The problem is, this schema 
is not for configuring ActiveSync, but rather any one of the "native" 
exchange protocols (RPC, MAPI over HTTP, etc...). I have tried sending 
back the MobileSync configuration anyway, but OL still fails - 
presumably because it doesn't match the requested schema.

I have no idea if this is an intentional change on the part of MS or 
not. I know that they have phased out ActiveSync support for 
Outlook.com accounts because of perfomance issues and various other 
limitations.

Bottom line - We can't work around this issue since Outlook never asks 
for the correct configuration.
2017-07-29 20:21:46 Michael Rubinsky Comment #2
Assigned to Michael Rubinsky
State ⇒ Resolved
Reply to this comment
SIgh. Confirmed.
2017-07-26 08:42:21 michael (at) bigmichi1 (dot) de Comment #1
Type ⇒ Bug
State ⇒ Unconfirmed
Priority ⇒ 1. Low
Summary ⇒ ActiveSync not working with new Outlook versions
Queue ⇒ Horde Framework Packages
Milestone ⇒
Patch ⇒ No
Reply to this comment
maybe this is not really a bug with activesync but at the moment we 
can't attach new outlook installations to horde because they have 
changed the entire account setup in these versions. you can only 
provide a account type and a username and password.
so what we discovered is that the request to the autodiscover.xml file 
is fine and then outlook asks for the password but when the password 
is entered we got a 401 response which is what we can see created in 
"/usr/share/php/Horde/Rpc/ActiveSync.php"
can you please have a look whats going on here, because with older 
versions where you can enter all server details manually in oulook 
everything was fine when attaching accounts.

Versions:
Horde_ActiveSync 2.38.6
Horde (horde) 5.2.15

Saved Queries