6.0.0-git
2019-04-24

[#3511] garbled message subject display with utf base encoded characters
Summary garbled message subject display with utf base encoded characters
Queue IMP
Queue Version HEAD
Type Bug
State Resolved
Priority 1. Low
Owners jan (at) horde (dot) org
Requester vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt
Created 2006-02-20 (4811 days ago)
Due
Updated 2010-01-12 (3389 days ago)
Assigned 2009-02-02 (3733 days ago)
Resolved 2009-02-05 (3730 days ago)
Milestone
Patch No

History
2009-02-05 22:00:51 Jan Schneider Comment #22 Reply to this comment
That's what I guessed. Thanks for the clarification.
2009-02-05 21:53:11 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #21 Reply to this comment
If you mean that in RTL it goes like (of 110 109) then try changing 
(%d of %d) in message.php into something like (%d RTLlanguagecharset 
%d) and it should work. Translations just need to be updated.
2009-02-05 21:49:18 Jan Schneider Comment #20
State ⇒ Resolved
Reply to this comment
It's not perfect, since the header is still not correct when using RTL 
translations, but it's an improvement, and RTL subjects are correctly 
rendered now. Nice work, thanks!
2009-02-05 21:10:08 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #18
New Attachment: bidi.patch Download
Reply to this comment
I think I've fixed this without a need to make new CSS classes. Take a 
look at the patch and 
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#direction. I'm not sure if 
this is the right way to fix it, but at least it works on IE8/7, FF3, 
Opera9 and Safari3 both on RTL and LTR languages.



Oh, and of course POT file needs to be updated.



P.S. sorry for the CVS patch. I hadn't much time to dive into Git just yet.
2009-02-02 17:09:33 Jan Schneider Comment #17 Reply to this comment
Can you make a patch of that?
2009-02-02 15:54:53 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #16 Reply to this comment
Ah, yes you a right. The name should be the same for both ltr and rtl 
translations.
2009-02-02 15:52:37 Jan Schneider Comment #15
State ⇒ Feedback
Reply to this comment
That doesn't make much sense to me. If you have two class names with 
simply implement the different text directions, you can use the css 
rule inline as well. Or do you mean that you need a class that has 
always the opposite of the default direction? But then it should have 
the same class name.
2009-02-02 15:47:43 Chuck Hagenbuch State ⇒ Assigned
 
2009-02-02 15:44:36 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #14 Reply to this comment
OK, I finally got server with RTL language locales and tested. SPAN 
containing message numbers is displayed left-to-right, so this doesn't 
work. Can I propose adding new .ltr { direction: ltr; } class in 
horde/themes/screen.css and .rtl { direction: rtl; } class in 
horde/themes/rtl.css to override default browser behaviour in such 
cases?
2009-02-01 18:32:09 Chuck Hagenbuch State ⇒ No Feedback
 
2009-01-20 12:31:13 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #13 Reply to this comment
Sorry I don't have any RTL locales installed on my server, so can't test it.
2009-01-20 12:23:30 Jan Schneider Comment #12 Reply to this comment
And does this still work with an RTL translation enabled?
2009-01-20 11:24:49 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #11 Reply to this comment
Separating string by the first "(" sign and inserting the second part 
into <span dir="ltr">second_part</span> does the trick at least on IE8 
and Firefox.
2009-01-18 20:54:43 Jan Schneider Comment #10 Reply to this comment
I'm pretty sure that this doesn't work, because it's a problem of the 
browser rendering, not of how the string is constructed. But if you 
can make it work somehow, that would be great.
2009-01-18 15:14:25 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #9 Reply to this comment
Maybe we can split the whole string into 2 or 3 parts separating 
message topic from the rest?
2009-01-18 10:33:08 Jan Schneider Comment #8
State ⇒ Feedback
Reply to this comment
Reading again what I wrote, it doesn't make much sense to me anymore, 
since this should only affect RTL translations. And obviously it only 
works with UTF-8 encoded translations. I really don't know how to 
properly deal with a mixed charset/RTL/LTR string though, yet.
2009-01-18 02:21:31 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #7 Reply to this comment
I have tried couple of times inserting U+202D character into needed 
string but PHP only produces garbled characters like รข&#128;. Can you 
describe a little bit more how it should be inserted?
2008-11-09 09:57:19 Jan Schneider Comment #5
State ⇒ Resolved
Reply to this comment
I'm pretty sure this has been fixed when I discovered the Unicode code 
points to override the normal text direction. If not, then the 
translation has to be updated accordingly, see po/README.
2008-11-09 02:19:54 Chuck Hagenbuch Comment #4
Assigned to Jan Schneider
Taken from Horde DevelopersHorde Developers
State ⇒ Assigned
Reply to this comment
Jan, any change here either with newer PHP versions, or maybe the intl 
library?
2006-03-28 15:45:24 Jan Schneider State ⇒ Stalled
 
2006-02-20 22:47:41 Jan Schneider Comment #3
Assigned to Horde DevelopersHorde Developers
State ⇒ Assigned
Reply to this comment
This happens with all RTL languages and sprintf() calls, and I have 
absolutely no idea how to fix that.
2006-02-20 13:13:45 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #2
New Attachment: hebrew message.eml Download
Reply to this comment
Sample message for testing.
2006-02-20 13:13:13 vilius (at) lnk (dot) lt Comment #1
Type ⇒ Bug
State ⇒ Unconfirmed
Priority ⇒ 1. Low
Summary ⇒ garbled message subject display with utf base encoded characters
Queue ⇒ IMP
New Attachment: subject.PNG Download
Reply to this comment
Hello,



if message subject is encoded in utf base64 encoding, subject is 
garbled in message view. See screenshot.

Saved Queries