[#9950] Broken notification in compose window
Summary Broken notification in compose window
Queue IMP
Queue Version Git master
Type Bug
State Resolved
Priority 1. Low
Owners slusarz@horde.org
Requester jan@horde.org
Created 2011-04-21 (3838 days ago)
Due
Updated 2011-05-18 (3811 days ago)
Assigned 2011-05-03 (3826 days ago)
Resolved 2011-05-18 (3811 days ago)
Milestone
Patch No

Comments
Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org> 2011-04-21 16:01:11
If opening the compose window triggers a notification, this 
notification isn't displayed anywhere. If that notification contains 
audio, the audio tag is printed before starting the page output. 
Commit fdd357ede9d2452c6db34f8a6282d456cfb9402c was supposed to fix 
that, but it broke other things.

Git Commit <commits@lists.horde.org> 2011-04-21 16:32:00
Changes have been made in Git for this ticket:

Bug #9950: Fix notifications in compose window (dynamic view)

  1 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
http://git.horde.org/horde-git/-/commit/d24291a4c369b4a81a04c01541026acce6e823a0

Michael Slusarz <slusarz@horde.org> 2011-04-21 16:42:12
Does this fix what you were seeing?

Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org> 2011-04-21 17:12:12
Yes

Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org> 2011-05-03 10:19:41
Actually not quite yet. The sound notifications are now output between 
the head and body tags.

And they are raised several times if you had several notifications 
piling up. Though this might be a problem of audio notifications not 
being used in the main interface. It makes them pile up, and they are 
all outputed at once (making a terrible noise) if you open a page that 
supports audio notifications. I'm not sure if we should implement a 
duplicate check in the audio notification listener. But for now we 
should either support audio notifications throughout DIMP or check for 
duplicates where we output the notifications in DIMP.

Michael Slusarz <slusarz@horde.org> 2011-05-05 16:42:38
> And they are raised several times if you had several notifications 
> piling up. Though this might be a problem of audio notifications not 
> being used in the main interface. It makes them pile up, and they 
> are all outputed at once (making a terrible noise) if you open a 
> page that supports audio notifications. I'm not sure if we should 
> implement a duplicate check in the audio notification listener. But 
> for now we should either support audio notifications throughout DIMP 
> or check for duplicates where we output the notifications in DIMP.

I think this issue is more of a fundamental flaw (or, at least, a 
limitation) in the current Notification system.  At present, there 
really is no way to push a notification with the intent of "I want the 
notification to be displayed on this page access and, if not, you can 
go ahead and discard the notification".  Especially for things like 
newmail notifications, this is time-critical information.  It becomes 
useless once the page access is complete.

I've worked around the limitation in IMP (somewhat) by using 
Decorators.  Decorators were used simply because they are triggered 
whenever notify() is called.  Thus, I only create notifications if I 
know the notifications are about to be displayed.

However, an alternative method would be to indicate, at the time we 
are pushing the notification, whether the notification should persist 
in the session.  (Although an advantage of doing the Decorator 
approach is to prevent potentially costly activities, such as mailbox 
polling, when there is absolutely no chance it would be used on a page).

Git Commit <commits@lists.horde.org> 2011-05-05 16:48:27
Changes have been made in Git for this ticket:

Bug #9950: Fix notifications in dimp popup screens

  4 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
http://git.horde.org/horde-git/-/commit/1e9e1316ee5f730cd724f13ed215098e5686475b

Michael Slusarz <slusarz@horde.org> 2011-05-05 16:48:56
> Actually not quite yet. The sound notifications are now output 
> between the head and body tags.

Hopefully these new fixes work better.  Also fixed the message popup window.

Michael Slusarz <slusarz@horde.org> 2011-05-11 06:25:16
>> Actually not quite yet. The sound notifications are now output
>> between the head and body tags.
>
> Hopefully these new fixes work better.  Also fixed the message popup window.

Ping - at least on this fix?

rsalmon@mbpgroup.com 2011-05-16 13:06:53
> Changes have been made in Git for this ticket:
>
> Bug #9950: Fix notifications in dimp popup screens
>
>  4 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
> http://git.horde.org/horde-git/-/commit/1e9e1316ee5f730cd724f13ed215098e5686475b

with this patch, I get the following errors :
NOTICE: HORDE [imp] PHP ERROR: Undefined variable: status [pid 26255 
on line 279 of "/var/www/html/hordetest/imp/compose-dimp.php




Git Commit <commits@lists.horde.org> 2011-05-17 04:46:03
Changes have been made in Git for this ticket:

Bug #9950: Fix undefined error

  1 files changed, 0 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
http://git.horde.org/horde-git/-/commit/71215a4e0f57a15614556de24efc5f7f20d7c442

Michael Slusarz <slusarz@horde.org> 2011-05-17 04:46:28
>> Changes have been made in Git for this ticket:
>>
>> Bug #9950: Fix notifications in dimp popup screens
>>
>>  4 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
>> http://git.horde.org/horde-git/-/commit/1e9e1316ee5f730cd724f13ed215098e5686475b
>
> with this patch, I get the following errors :
> NOTICE: HORDE [imp] PHP ERROR: Undefined variable: status [pid 26255 
> on line 279 of "/var/www/html/hordetest/imp/compose-dimp.php

Fixed.  That's just a cosmetic error - it doesn't break anything.


Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org> 2011-05-17 08:27:14
> Actually not quite yet. The sound notifications are now output 
> between the head and body tags.

This is fixed now.

Michael Slusarz <slusarz@horde.org> 2011-05-18 18:08:38
I'm going to close this ticket.  Re: duplicate notifications - as 
discussed below, this is a limitation of the current Notification 
system.  Will add a new Enhancement ticket to track this.