[#10364] Vacation email list separation issue with commas
Summary Vacation email list separation issue with commas
Queue Ingo
Queue Version 2.0.2
Type Enhancement
State Accepted
Priority 1. Low
Owners
Requester it@wenn.com
Created 2011-07-21 (3746 days ago)
Due
Updated 2011-07-30 (3737 days ago)
Assigned 2011-07-21 (3746 days ago)
Resolved
Milestone
Patch No

Comments
it@wenn.com 2011-07-21 10:00:49
If a user entered their email addresses into the vacation filter with 
commas separating them but without a space, the system considered this 
all one email address.
If a user puts a comma and a space the system splits the email 
addresses up but the comma then is added to the end of the email 
address it was directly after.

Users have the habit to use commas so it would be prudent to try and 
detect several situations where a comma and semicolon is used as a 
separator with/without a space pre/post.
On reading in all the email addresses, reformatting them onto separate 
lines after save could also aid readability for the user.


it@wenn.com 2011-07-21 10:12:30
> If a user entered their email addresses into the vacation filter 
> with commas separating them but without a space, the system 
> considered this all one email address.
> If a user puts a comma and a space the system splits the email 
> addresses up but the comma then is added to the end of the email 
> address it was directly after.
>
> Users have the habit to use commas so it would be prudent to try and 
> detect several situations where a comma and semicolon is used as a 
> separator with/without a space pre/post.
> On reading in all the email addresses, reformatting them onto 
> separate lines after save could also aid readability for the user.
>


Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org> 2011-07-21 15:25:41
What is "the system"? I.e. where do you see broken behaviour?

it@wenn.com 2011-07-21 15:29:33
> What is "the system"? I.e. where do you see broken behaviour?

Sieve output driver.

If you enter (jon@abcd.com,steve@abcd.com' it will go like that into 
the seive vacation driver as "jon@abcd.com,steve@abcd.com" instead of 
"jon@abcd.com","steve@abcd.com"


The patch ive entered overall fixes the issue on entering the email 
addresses by splitting it out onto new lines incase the user puts a 
comma or semicolon.

Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org> 2011-07-21 15:46:03
You are supposed to enter email addresses each on a separate line. 
This should be clear from the address fields being textareas. But a 
patch to add some addtional comments to those fields would be helpful.

it@wenn.com 2011-07-21 15:49:24
> You are supposed to enter email addresses each on a separate line. 
> This should be clear from the address fields being textareas. But a 
> patch to add some addtional comments to those fields would be helpful.

supposed != users acualy do

you/i know this but not all users read help files or even follow what 
they say, unforunatly this is what we have to deal with

either comments or say the patch I supplied would work better i say to 
take the dumb factor out